Friday, March 23, 2012

"Sister Missionaries Need Dinner Appointments Too."

(Tuesday March 6 2012)

Sister Mohring, Mumbere and Sister Parsons

Sorry I’m not writing much, I ran out of time after reading 10 emails and doing that fireside thing for the YSA. Nothing exciting has happened although we moved Mumbere's baptism from Sunday 4th march to Saturday 3rd March, which only gave us a few days to organise it. Elder and Sister Hamula's visit was amazing and the spirit was electric as Elder Hamula spoke.

Can you please send some of my typo books over? I’m running out. I don't know if they have a typo store in Perth:(

Next time you send me stuff, could you slip me a copy of dad's motab male choir cd? It’s the cd with the tuxedo on the front cover. We got told the other day President Smibert says motab is only good. Not even EFY :( it differs on mission presidents I think so I’ll just not listen to the other stuff until the other mission president says anything different.

Yesterday was Labour Day here so it was a public holiday full of work. We were quite productive. Today is p day so I haven't seen any packages or letters at all last week so I’ll respond to letter contents next time.

We ran out of food last week and so last night we were really glad we had a dinner appointment with a part member family. We were excited as we planned on extending the baptismal commitment to Hemi, the husband. Then they cancelled on us at 6pm when we were supposed to go to them for dinner. ARGH! Do people not understand how mean it is to cancel dinner on missionaries? So we got a small pizza from Dominos as it was the cheapest thing to buy. So we are excited to go shopping for food now.

I got to go now. Sorry I’ll try and type more next time.

I LOVE YOU ALL

(following is my contribution to that fireside)

“Finding Strength Beyond Your Own”

Doonside Ward YSA Fireside

"On 19th January 2012, I left my family and friends full of enthusiasm and love, excited that I had been called to serve in the Australia Perth Mission. I spent 3 weeks in the Missionary Training Centre in Auckland New Zealand and that is where I first discovered the power that comes through obedience. I thought I would struggle with the early mornings and late nights, but my struggle came in a different way. I often found myself struggling to understand why I wasn't progessing as fast or as far as other missionaries around me and I often came to the Lord in sincere prayer, wondering what I was doing wrong, and why I couldn't do everything as well as others around me.

One Sunday I read an article by Elder Carl B. Cook in the Ensign magazine entitled "Look Up". In it he tells of the struggles he faced learning German in the Missionary Training Centre and how he compared himself to others constantly to see how well he was doing. After praying the answer came from God saying “I never called you to master the German language. I just called you to serve with all of your heart, mind, and strength.”

As I read those words I was filled with a sense of relief. I too had been looking sideways and not looking up - to see what my Father in Heaven wanted. If I only continued to do my best in being obedient to what Heavenly Father wanted me to do, I would be blessed. And I have seen it happen.

In Doctrine & Covenants 130: 20-21 it says:

There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

This scripture testifies to me that through obedience, we will be blessed. God is bound by laws just as we are and he promises us blessings if we are obedient. The commandments and instructions we receive are not to hinder us or make our lives hard, but are guide posts given to us to improve ourselves and our lives."





No comments: