Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Ballajura Ward, Ellenbrook Area - Dianella Zone"

(Monday February 20 2012)

This email came through from President Smibert to all the missionaries in Perth regarding their new Mission President from July 2012 -

“We received the announcement yesterday that the Mission President who will replace us in July is President & Sister Bruce and Shari Lindsay from Sandy Utah. We are excited that such a great couple have received this sacred assignment. President Lindsay is the head news reporter for KSL television in Salt Lake City. He and Sister Lindsay will be accompanied by their 15 year old son, the youngest of their six children. They come with great experience and love for the Lord.”

(A little something about Ashlea's New Mission President who comes to Perth in July)


President Bruce Lindsay
(Australia Perth Mission July 2012 - 2015)

(News Anchor - KSL Television - Salt Lake City UTAH)

Bruce Lindsay is KSL Television's primary news anchor and has anchored evening newscasts for the station continuously since 1978.

He is also the host and executive producer of Sunday Edition with Bruce Lindsay, a public affairs program devoted to civil discussion of significant issues.

Reporting assignments have taken Bruce to countries across the globe. His work has been recognized by many regional and national awards. They include a coveted Emmy, the Iris Award from the National Association of Television Program Executives, a Silver Medal from the New York Film and Video Festival, and various awards from the Utah Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists and the Utah Broadcasters Association.

Bruce holds an MBA degree from the University of Utah and received a BA in Communication from Brigham Young University.

Lindsay is the author of The Hometown Weekly: Good News For A Change, a collection of short fiction which exposes his lighter side. He found his voice as "a teller" at the 2011 Timpanogos Story Telling Festival where he was a featured performer. He is the narrator of several audio books.

Bruce is married to Shari Anderson Lindsay, a garden consultant. They are the parents of six children.

Lindsay is the son of Richard P. Lindsay and his wife the former Marian Bangerter.

In 2012 Bruce Lindsay was called to serve as the Mission President of the Australia Perth Mission in the church from 2012-2015.


(Monday February 20 2012)

I’m sorry I’m only replying now. Our pdays are Monday and last Monday the local library wouldn’t let us on the computers because we didn't have a residential address letter from the mission office for a library card. So by the time we got letters at the office, it was too late in the day

Sister Mohring is my trainer and we have been doubled in to the Ellenbrook area in Ballajura Ward of the Dianella Zone. The mission office is in Dianella on the temple grounds and is about 25 minutes from us.

Tell Gabi I would love to hear from her

Thank you all for the letters and the wonderful package. I do read them all and I got the valentines package on Friday when I picked it up from the office. I opened it there and shared the lollies with the elders and sisters. Elder Bennion from America did a funny little dance over the fact I had sweet tarts and you couldn't buy them here. I gave him one of the packets. Sister Mohring and I share the other as I can't eat too many of them at once.

I’m glad dad is seeming to relax a bit more. And is happy. I know he is happy when he is busy and Sister Mohring and I laughed when we read his letter about shooting as the only "leisure activity" for us in our area is a shooting range and we're not allowed to. We really wanted to though.

I need to buy some shorter skirts for riding soon. We get paid a certain amount for the month but it's in American dollars and the Australian dollar isn't doing very well right now (I believe she means because the Aussie $ is stronger against the US $) so it's a lot less.

Tell Aliyah I got her letter the other day and it cheered me up immensely. I will try and write but it may be along time coming. Tell her I don't mind that the letters are only once a month as long as they are fat! I can reread them :)

I’m glad India is doing ok and has made a change of friends if her other friends were mean. I don't want her to waste her time like I did being treated badly.

I haven't received her second letter yet, but I will be going to the mission office within the hour so I will see what I have then. We are having a 2 hour choir practice in preparation for Elder Hamular's visit to our mission at the end of the month. It’s not really convenient being put in the middle of the day.

It doesn't take me that long to pick up stuff from the office anyway, I usually go there twice a week.

It is 40+ degrees here since I’ve gotten to Perth. I’ve been feeling sick and I think I have heat stroke. I’ve had a migraine for the last 3 days. I know I need to drink more water but the water in Perth tastes like metal and makes me sick even more. I think I need another priesthood blessing.

The work is slow here; I was doubled in to my area with my trainer (who is Elder Mohring's sister) so we are trying our best to get to know the area. The ward is amazing with their help but it's so hard to tract! No one is on the streets, no one is ever home and everyone goes to bed early. So we go home about 7pm, have dinner and we have permission to do 12 week training before planning and bed.

I taught a progressing investigator a few days after getting here and I extended the baptismal invitation and he said yes! I was so nervous he would say no. I hadn't even realised I had asked him to commit. The power of the spirit

We’ve been told here by our mission president to make sure we keep spirits up among the members and that even when things are not always going as planned, when they ask how our day has been we say "unbelievable". It’s become a standard joke among the missionaries when talking with one another to say your day has been unbelievable and you know what they mean ha-ha.

The missionaries in our ward are Elder Taumololo and Elder Ramirez (our zone leaders) and Elder Fowdy and Elder Moore. They are all amazing! Elder T and Elder R are from Sydney and Elder Moore is from NZ. His accent is noticeable but not as bad as normal kiwi accents so I find it rather nice. Elder Fowdy is BRITISH! He is the funniest guy. He is slowly learning Australian humour and sarcasm. He got Elder Moore, Sister Mohring and myself the other day

Me: Did you know that our mission covers part of the coastal waters? So really, we should be allowed in the water.

Moore: It does say to preach unto all creatures. So maybe if we stand in the water and say a generic baptismal prayer...

Mohring: What's the worst they'll do if they say no?

Me: Uh, eat us?

Fowdy: Well, if they eat us, they'll be feasting upon Christ.

AHAHAHAHAHA WE COUDLN'T STOP CRYING FROM LAUGHTER. My side hurt. Elder Moore said, "I’m so proud of you! I’m writing that in my journal"

Our AP’s are Elder Semu and Elder Abel. I don't know where Elder Semu is from but he's Australian. Elder Abel is from Canberra. They are both of Polynesian descent but they look half and half. Elder Abel has the most amazing eyes! They are light green and stand out against his light brown skin. They are both amazingly nice. Their humility and presence can be felt when you meet them. They are always serving and are always nice, even when they ask you to do something.

I have to go now but can you please send me my plan of salvation? And something else but I forgot.

I better go now and write to president. Woops!

I LOVE YOU ALL!

p.s oh yeah! Send me some recipes please! I’m sick of burritos and pasta!


No comments: